“I want to talk about learning. But not the lifeless, sterile, futile, quickly forgotten stuff that is crammed in to the mind of the poor helpless individual tied into his seat by ironclad bonds of conformity! I am talking about LEARNING – The true learning can be seen in the insatiable curiosity that drives an adolescent boy to absorb everything he can see or hear or read about gasoline engines in order to improve the efficiency and speed of his ‘cruiser’”. Carl Rogers
There are different types of learning that take place in children. The learning process in children actually depends upon their intelligence. Bloom’s and Howard Gardner’s theories of multiple intelligences and learning styles suggests that there are seven types of Intelligence.
1. Linguistic: Children with this kind of intelligence enjoy writing, reading, telling stories or doing crossword puzzles.
2. Logical-Mathematical: Children with this kind of logical intelligence are interested in patterns, categories and relationships. They are drawn to arithmetic problems, strategy games and experiments.
3. Bodily-Kinesthetic: These kids process knowledge through bodily sensations. They are often athletic, dancers or good at crafts such as sewing or woodworking.
4. Spatial: These children think in images and pictures. They may be fascinated with mazes or jigsaw puzzles, or spend free time drawing, building with Leggos or daydreaming.
5. Musical: Musical children are always singing or drumming to themselves. They are usually quite aware of sounds others may miss. These kids are often discriminating listeners.
6. Interpersonal: Children who are leaders among their peers, who are good at communicating and who seem to understand others’ feelings and motives possess interpersonal intelligence.
7. Intrapersonal: These children may be shy. They are very aware of their own feelings and are self-motivated.
Learning Pyramid is the one that shows the process where the information is turned in to knowledge.
Most of the International schools of today follow these strategies. At Phoenix Greens International School, Hyderabad, Multi Model Learning System is followed in which, the stages of learning pyramid are achieved by different methods of teaching. This Multi Model learning system is proven very effective with children of all seven kinds of intelligence.
After all, human learning may occur as part of education, personal development, or training. It may be goal-oriented and may be aided by motivation. But finally what people look at is the progress that is made by the child.